Right on time for Halloween, aye? I finally finished these costumes to be given to my nephews in June, but it’s taken me a while to get back to the blog. I’ll never understand why I sometimes drop off the online grid, but alas.
The brief was: a Pirate Captain, that was fierce and dressed in proper “piratey” kit including a laced coat, and Count Dracula, that was creepy and definitely had a cloak in black and red.
I used the Burda download pattern no. 2452 for the pirate coat and breeches, the Burda download boy’s shirt pattern for the two linen shirts (only used as a base for dimensions, I altered the pattern quite a bit), and the Simplicity pattern no. 5927 for the Dracula cape.
I made the two waistcoats from the Pirate pattern, but altered the pattern to suit the different styles. I made the two breeches (stretch velvet for Dracula, thick cotton jersey for Pirate) from the Pirate pattern, and the two shirts from the boy’s shirt pattern. I lined the cape pattern, so that the it would be the required black and red. I also made a lace-edged jabot for the Count.